- Enforce all laws and ordinances of the City and to see that all franchises, contracts, permits and privileges granted by the City Council are faithfully observed.
- Appoint, remove, promote, and demote any and all officers and employees of the City including the City Clerk pursuant to Government Code Section 34856, except elected officers, and the City Attorney, subject to all applicable personnel rules and regulations which may be adopted by the City Council.
- Control, order, and give directions to all department heads who are subject to his appointment and removal authority and to subordinate officers and employees of the City under his jurisdiction through their department heads.
- Conduct studies and effect such organization and reorganization of offices, positions or units under his direction as may be indicated in the interest of efficient, effective, and economical conduct of the City's business.
- Recommend to the City Council for adoption such measures and ordinances as he deems necessary.
- Attend all City Council meetings unless excused by the Mayor individually or the City Council as a whole, except when his removal is under consideration.
- Prepare and submit the proposed annual budget and the proposed annual salary plan to the City Council for its approval.
- Keep the City Council at all times fully advised as to the financial condition and needs of the City.
- Make investigations into the affairs of the City and any department or division and any contract or other obligation of the City; and further to investigate all complaints in relation to matters concerning the administration of the City government.
- Exercise general supervision over all public buildings, public parks, and all other public properties which are under the control and jurisdiction of the City.
- Have the same authority as the Mayor, as the convenience of the parties may dictate, to sign documents specified in Section 40602 of the California Government Code wherever such documents have been approved by the City Council for execution by resolution, motion, minute order or other appropriate action.
- Perform such other responsibilities and exercise such other powers as may be delegated to him from time to time by ordinance or resolution or other official action of the City Council.
Additional duties include, but are not limited to, representing the City in legislative and regulatory matters, overseeing management operations, overseeing the annual budget and investment policy, working with other agencies to address regional issues, and serving as the Executive Director of the Lake Forest Housing Authority.